Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Television vs. Radio

I really agreed with Druckman's point that people learn more from television than they do from radio. Like he said, when it comes to judging qualities like evasiveness and being trustworthy, humans put a lot of emphasis on non-verbal components. I know for sure that sometimes when I see someone, I just feel in my gut that this person is a genuinely nice guy or is not trustworthy. Thats why dirty political ads are so effective: by putting an image on the screen and then inviting the viewer to associate the image of the political opponent with some negative quality, it is in our nature to come to accept  that association. With that in mind; here is an example of Mccain's attempt to get viewers to associate President Obama as more of a celebrity than an serious candidate:
Obama_celeb

1 comment:

  1. For some reason the link isn't working. Smear campaign adds never work on me though. I always take whatever they are saying with a grain of salt because i know it is only one side of things. Maybe i'm just thinking of the really bad ones, the ones where theres ominous music in the background while they show all the bad things the political candidate has done, all in black and white of course. Then they flash to their candidate, and happy music begins and suddenly the commercial is in color. That stuff doesn't work on me. do they work on you? anyone?

    ReplyDelete